BYU vs. Airforce
We have gone to the past four or five games and yes, as a supportive wife, I even watch the away games with the husband. He teaches me the intricacies of sports while I point out how many fouettes into pirouettes those amazing Cougarettes can bust out. So we've been to a good amount of games, including the one scheduled at the E-Center last December.
I have never seen a game like last night before. Never.
Two days ago I dropped Jonathan off at the Marriott Center to meet his brother. They were FREAKING out because they had to get one of those coveted green wristbands to assure them a spot in the stands, and there were already thousands of people there at 10:00am that day before the game. Tuesday was so cold, as that was our last snowfall. Don't worry, there were tents set up right outside the Marriott Center. Tents. I left to work thinking how hilarious all the hype was.
Later that night Jon calls me after work, "We're coming to get you! They are giving out more wristbands and somehow we are getting you into that game and right next to me on ROW 5!" Reluctantly, I tagged along and this time the line was a bit more stress-free. I was still laughing at all the hype and the intensity of students desiring a wristband. This was still only the night before the game!
Then Jon tells me I have to wait in a line on Wednesday for two hours, outside, without him. Cool dude.
Things I was grateful for: Yesterday was one of the warmer days of January until about 5:15, and they did let us all in (I felt like a group of quacking ducks or maybe a massive herd of cattle) at 6:00pm. Also, I found some people in my ward so I didn't have to chill by myself for two hours outside.
Something I was wondering: Which does Jon love more, his wife or BYU Basketball when they have 19 wins, 1 loss, and a number 9 ranking in the nation?
And then me and my frostbitten toes got in. And not only was I able to sit by my husband (who fought the crowd to row 16), I was also able to sit by Matt, Daniel, and Mary. The strength of Ditto fanhood!
About an hour before one of the biggest games of the season.
Yes, I might have become just as crazy of a fan as everyone around me. It didn't take long to fall into the HYPE trap. I have never seen every seat in the Marriott Center occupied and I have never heard the fans THAT loud. It was intense. Ever been to a rock concert? Even the oldies were chanting the chants of the season. "You got JIMMERED!" And I admit, I was even nervous for our boys! (It's way fun to know all their names, their strengths, all those particulars that I do know by now thanks to the fanatic hubby. Ah, Jimmer Freddette. He is legendary and it is pretty satisfying to see his talent on the basketball floor. We LOVE Jimmer, Jackson, Noah, Davies, Abouo, and Collinsworth. There, we have our sons' names picked out!
This is moments before someone chucked a water bottle that happened to pleasantly strike my head. As quoted by Dan, "Jon had the husband look of pure primal rage." About five people asked me afterwards if I was okay. Pretty embarrassing, but I am alive and well.
This game involved everything. We rang the victory bell, played with cosmo, and Mary and I even got interviewed by KBYU after. Watch today at noon and you might see our faces! (You'll even hear me speak in knowing basketball lingo if we're real lucky.)
And it ends this way, I became a part of the hype yesterday. Our boys beat San Diego which makes BYU the leading team in the mountain west conference. Jon is most likely having dreams of Jimmer by now. Who in Provo isn't?
:) LOVE.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness. I was laughing through this entire post. I love you. And I love this post. You two are hilarious. And my husband is way jealous he couldn't be at that game. What a night!
ReplyDeleteRachel. I heard this game was INSAAAAAANE (of course, that's no secret.) But, I love that you got interviewed. One time......I got interviewed.......by KBYU TV. About the UTAH JAZZ!!! YA!! So, at the time I felt relatively knowledgeable about the team, so I was happy to be interviewed. So, they asked me who my favorite player was, I believe. I can't remember who I said, but it was something along of the lines of, "I like __________ because he has nice hair." OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!! DAH!! Now I can't remember!! but I DO remember that it was ridiculous. And I'm pretty sure they didn't put it on the air (I watched for it.) They didn't want to make it look like a BYU student could be so daft. :)
ReplyDeleteDid you record your interview? I want to see.