Monday, March 14, 2011

Rain Rain Go Away

Would you like to know how much it costs to get a root canal and a crown without dental insurance? Around $1500 if you pay upfront. Fifteen hundred. For a fake piece of tooth to be inserted into your mouth.

Jon hasn't had a cavity in three years and thought that he'd be okay until law school started. That one slapped us hard. Floss your teeth my friends.

How about taxes. Well come to find out, I am deemed as self-employed with my current job. I only get a 1099 and no returns. Ouch, striked again with the reality of newlywed financial struggles.

Okay and then gas. What the! Supposedly it is going to be over $4 this summer, what a joy. I am now adjusting to taking the bus to my center in Springville every Tuesday and Thursday.

My dream of escaping to Hawaii with Jonathan this summer is slowly slipping from my finger tips. And I just started bawling on the way home from the dentist last Wednesday. I was strong until I saw an Arnold Machinery (Rex Mecham's former business) piece of equipment passing us on a truck on the freeway. It hit me that I do not live off of Daddy's salary or insurance anymore, and that real life happens. It's kind of like that movie, Up. They have so many dreams to travel together, but life happens instead and they have to use their savings to pay for it all.

But we are rich in other ways. I know that. And one tender mercy is that Ohio State wants my husband in their law school program. Another is that I am still dancing.
Can you believe my luck when Maria chose to fuse some Hungarian Gypsy Folk dance into our new show routine for 2011? Ahh.... feeling right at home here. Kind of nostalgic to be putting a headscarf and bangles back on. I could nearly smell memories of Budapest and the Hungarian State Folk Ensemble.

I will choose to be grateful. Even if I had my good cries this past week. I am very emotional and very hungry...could I be...?? No no. No sense in getting my hopes up just yet. :-)

5 comments:

  1. I've watched many a root canal in my days...and I can say I'm glad you are taking care of it in Utah. Let's just say you could NOT get a root canal and crown for $1500 before insurance in Oregon! Hope you are having happier days, the wonderful thing about life is that even though we have hard times they become good times. Dreams of going to hawaii if postponed will be all the more satisfactory after you have achieved a degree in law school and possibly given someone else a chance at life (as you suggested at the end of your post)! Sad to say but if you're entering law school you may not know monetary wealth in the next few years, but one thing I recently learned is that I am UNBELIEVABLY grateful for a hard working husband as I see you have! What greater blessing than someone that's willing to work his way in a similar way your Daddy did before he so kindly paid your way as you will someday do! Hope your emotional cries become happiness and joy! Love you lots!! (and trust me I've had plenty of those...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear sweet Rachel.. Tom and I have had too many of these moments. Big plans that turn into to different but still great plans. Life will never fail to keep us on our toes! I am starting to realize that these are the interesting stories of newlyweds that we will be telling our kiddies and that alone just might be worth it. You are such a cutie-pa-tootie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marriage is kinda tough that way, but how else do we learn? It's great to be independent and I believe it just makes us stronger. Keep plugging along, it will be over before you know it and each year goes so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my sweet friends. Thanks for your support. We have so much to be grateful for. Things have a way of working out, and I am glad to be in Utah instead of Japan right now where so many are truly suffering.

    I love you all and your nice comments. You're all the best best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your dreary days...it's definitely nice to hear how positive you are about it though. The truth is we will ALL face the trials and the tears, that's what we signed up for. What we get to decide then is if we'll get up and get going or if we'll just let it get us and get down on ourselves. Not just from your posts of testimony but from the way you've always been bright eyed and full of life - I know you're counting your blessings and counting on God and that's what makes me love this post so much! It's such an uplifter when you hear of others working through the storms of life because it gives you the faith to face your own. So thank you, thank you! I read this right when I needed to!

    Oh and really is there anything sweeter than being brought down to the depths of humility with the love of your life and chugging along together? No marriage should go without those incredible building experiences of leaning on one another! Good luck with your dancing and Jon being accepted to Ohio State!

    ReplyDelete