Our third day in Columbus, Jon received a call from Dean Hernandez, the dean of admissions at BYU Law.
I knew instantly what the call meant, what else could it mean? And we were completely stunned. It was so unexpected that Jon would be moved from the waiting list and accepted to BYU, especially the weekend before orientation. And how strange it was to us both, when we felt so at peace and settled about this move to Ohio. This move that literally took months of planning and stress and packing and researching and cleaning and paying and praying and fasting and the list goes on...
And standing there in complete surprise while Jon spoke with the dean, all I could do was laugh at God's sense of humor. What else can you do in a moment like that?
While the decision on our part had to be made fast and was somewhat intense (what an influential fork in the road to our future!) it was, in the end, a no brainer. BYU Law's tuition is like a scholarship in comparison to any other law school in the nation. Besides, it was Jon's dream all along. It took a little bit of a paradigm shift in our minds. And it was just plain weird at times, knowing I was coming back to Utah Valley.
We got in the car Friday night and drove to St. Louis. By Saturday night we were with Uncle Ditto in Cheyenne. And Sunday around 6:00 pm, we approached those welcoming mountains I love so much and arrived to Centerville with the in-laws. Family that I had just said goodbye to ten days before. CRAZY crazy CRAZY. I thought I could never step into my car again.
Before we left, Jon needed to sell his books back. It was soon decided that we needed to have some fun with the situation: these would have been the hoodies we would have bought for the football games.
Decision made last spring: Ohio State or bust!
We felt good about this at one point, right?
Wait, what did we feel good about again?
Utter confusion. I don't know anything anymore. Guess I'm just here for the ride.
Back to the home front we go.
It's a miracle how this all played out. Really, it is. One of Dean Hernandez's first questions to Jon was if we had signed any contracts yet. No, in fact we were not contractually bound to anything yet. The day before the call, a contract was set before us so that we could sign on an apartment that neither of us felt good about. We never signed and were still in the process of finding a place to live. No jobs had come remotely close to working out for me. We were as free as birds. And I do believe that to be a miracle. We packed up and drove west that very night.
So why the major detour? What's up with the practical joking? Well, there already seem to be numerous reasons for it. Jon and I find ourselves in a new position, me with no previous commitments to my former life in Provo, and both of us with renewed and grateful attitudes. Back to the BYU then! Jon pretty much feels like Rudy now.
Selling some OSU books back he'll now never use, and telling Mama Ditto the news.
P.S. Speaking of Mama's, you have to hear my mom's screaming reaction: "Praise the Lord!! Hallelujah! It's a miracle!!!!!!" Never a dull moment with that spirited woman.
.
I love this story. What a strength building experience-especially because I think the Lord does ask us to do things like that without knowing the outcome. And sometimes the lesson to be learned is just that you know you'll follow the spirit no matter what. The Lord was surely testing your obedience. You passed with flying colors :)
ReplyDeleteTHAT IS SOOOO AWESOME! I'm really happy for you guys! Although I'm sure Jill Mangum will miss you in Ohio :) We had a similar experience with the U, but we had a month's notice and hadn't actually moved out to the other school in DC or anything. Your story is just ... WOW!
ReplyDeleteThat is crazy!? I would not take it that well. I'm glad you will be where you're supposed to be, welcome back!
ReplyDeleteHahaha this is AMAZING! What an incredible turn of events! I bet your family is thrilled. This is hilarious! I hope you guys are getting re-settled and all is going well. Congratulations!! Welcome back :)
ReplyDelete:) You guys are awesome!! Can't wait to see you in December! xo
ReplyDeleteYay!!! You're back in Utah! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks friends. Much love to each of you and yours. :-) You are all awesome.
ReplyDelete