Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sugar Mama

The unexpected turns of life are still playing with my path. Never in a million years would I have thought I could work where Jon worked the first year of our marriage, at SecurityMetrics. Three weeks into it now, I am a full-time working woman with a big kid job. Call me Jonathan's sugar mama.

I am still learning how to earn commission at this place, and in some ways this is one of the most difficult jobs I have ever had. Obviously I got the job because my genius husband left a legacy there, blowing his sales out of the water. He tries to train me at home but what a stretch for me and my non-sales-type-personality. Would I ever have even considered working at a place like this in my past? Never. But we can do hard things, right? Finding a full-time job is quite a task for me it seems. Employers could care less about a bachelor's degree in psychology. And we choose not to live off of school loans.

I am a creator of circumstances, not a creature of circumstances. I try to tell myself that everyday. At least Katie Shepherd Harmon is working there with me. Her light gets me through the difficult days. And sometimes she'll kidnap me from my little cubicle so we can go play Ping Pong in the basement.
And so we can breathe and remember our happier selves.

I have a plan to make more than five sales in one working day. Not quite sure how Hawaii would average 12 sales a day there. Except that he's brilliant with people and proving his case. Good thing he's in law school, right?

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job, sounds like a great blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun blog Rachel! You are so brave to do a job like that. I could never do that! Isn't it fun being a sugar mama? :) Good luck! I want to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach, I am so proud of you. Don't you love making the money so you can be the boss of the family? I sure do.

    ReplyDelete