Friday, February 10, 2012

Sugar Mama: Take 2

After weeks of applications and three or four interviews, Intermountain Healthcare has finally hired me as a full-time secretary! It is a time to rejoice and be grateful, for sure. Jonathan and I have never been offered such exceptional health insurance benefits before, and I was nearly in tears when we looked through the details of the packet.

So time to take two then, and it's back to working full-time. I seem to have a pattern of abruptly switching my schedule from and easy and laidback to full and exhausting. It feels good though, this exhaustion. I am willing and able, and I can be the breadwinner for now. :-)

Meanwhile, my head is swimming with the seemingly endless information they have been filling my brain with over at the hospital. This position is not easy, at least not yet. Even once I start catching on and understanding the flow of things, there will be daily problems to solve with patients and insurance billing and scheduling and medicare requirements and therapist requests and so on. Bring on the fun. I'll take this job over SecurityMetrics any day!

Also, is this a normal reaction to a tetanus shot? What the.
They had to stick me five times to assure that I was up to date with all immunizations. I guess  a hospital with sickie face employees wouldn't exactly meet compliance standards. My arm was so sore because the nurse did the Tetanus and that nasty flu shot side by side.

Worth it! I need to earn my ticket to New Zealand this May.

7 comments:

  1. From a cancer mama's perspective we CERTAINLY APPRECIATE healthy employees...I used to be terrified just taking the elevator to get up to the onc floor for Gracie's biweekly appointments when she had NO immune system. I would wheel her stroller facing the corner to avoid all the "oh, she's so cute" comments and instead think "i know she's adorable but don't look at her and esp don't breathe on her". Congrats on the new job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I hope you know I love reading your blog. You make me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for jobs! Mine doesn't start for another week, and I am definitely nervous about the whole easy, I'm-still-on-Christmas-Break schedule to a normal work schedule. I used to finish work by 3 everyday. Not sure how I'll handle working til 5! (I've been so spoiled!) Glad to hear it's going well - miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah!!! I loved working for IHC! I worked for them for 5 years!!! Such a good job. Great benefits. The work is easy! You'll catch on quick!! Yay for a new job, and being happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! And YAY for awesome benefits! I never realized how important that was until now... since Danny and I don't have ANY. Take FULL advantage of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just so happy for you. It is nice to be busy. And by the way, thanks for the nice note, you are just the sweetest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats again Rachel! I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete