Yesterday felt like a day of many small yet meaningful miracles. I am so grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This past General Conference weekend was particularly significant for me. Preparations for it began months ago, because I almost signed up for an all-day kickboxing event for Saturday March 31st and the spirit distinctly told me NO. I know how the spirit speaks to me, for which I am so grateful, and the stupor of thought I felt about missing Saturday's conference session was very strong last February. I decided to forego the kickboxing opportunity for another day, so that I could be exactly where the spirit told me to be.
Yesterday morning we somehow made it to Salt Lake in record time, despite how late we left Provo and the awful construction of Utah County. I got out of the car and lifted up my two fingers for tickets to the session, and I waited a mere ten seconds before three future missionaries came behind me and placed the tickets into my hands. Once Jon arrived from parking the car, he showed me that the same thing happened to him, only his tickets were on the plaza level. We sat closer than we ever have before, so that we could easily observe those admirable men who lead our church in these latter days. My eyes burned with tears as we sang the words "I'll strengthen thee and help thee to stand, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand." We sang those words right when I noticed Elders L. Tom Perry and Russell M. Nelsen holding up an aging and weaker President Boyd K. Packer, so that he could stand. Jonathan and I were deeply touched.
And every talk seemed to speak directly to my soul, and my fears, and my desires, and my heartaches. I know I was exactly where I needed to be. And my Heavenly Father spoke to me over and over and over again. Sometimes it is so obvious that He is speaking to me, I cannot help but laugh and tell him I am listening.
The BYU Law School never ceases to impress us. They fed us a free lunch at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in between sessions, and we were able to find tickets to the afternoon session.
I am listening, and humbled, and full of gratitude for the peace and comfort of my Heavenly Father's tender mercies. His presence surrounds and comforts me, and because of this gospel I feel joy each day.
Tangents and how strange my normal is…
4 days ago
Thank you for sharing the story about Pres. Packer. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it. It's amazing that a man that can hardly stand is so willing to give so much and work so hard for the Church. He is truly an inspiration.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lindsey. I hope you had a wonderful weekend!
DeleteI love you dear Rach and I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes the spirit is SO strong it's almost audible. My heart is with you my dear friend. Hope to chat soon!
ReplyDeleteLove you Steph. I am so grateful to have you and your daily example in my life. I will try and call tonight. :-)
DeleteI wish there was a like button for entire blog posts. Thanks for sharing Rachel :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Amalie. And thanks for being such a sweet visiting teacher and neighbor! :-)
Delete