Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Standstill of November

Pulling out of the parking lot and waiting to turn left at the light
I saw him there.

Trembling from head to foot, and a certain struggle with his gait-
Parkinson's Disease.

And when he looked at me and waved with a smile

I felt my heart break and the tears well up in my eyes. Something pricked my soul when I looked at him.

They say to pay your tithing, or donate to United Way, and you're doing your part.

But this was not enough.

How could I do nothing? How could I simply drive past this homeless man?
And yet the seconds ticked away while I waited at the stop light, his cart remaining empty while wealthy vehicles full of groceries passed him by. I had no cash or food on me.With sincere prayer for this man I continued towards my destination.

But even prayer was not enough.

An hour later, I realized that I had prayed for an opportunity to serve someone that day. The opportunity was ticking away. No matter how small, there had to be something I could do. I prepared a warm plate and gathered some other food storage items together as quickly as I could.

Panicked that he may have left already, I feared that the moment to help had slipped through my fingers.

But I arrived just in time. He was slowly, shakily making his way off the seemingly arduous curb. With that same smile, he told me his name and a part of his story.

                                                 Time stood still.



God bless this man.
And please, God, bless our burdened country.
Happy Election Day.

6 comments:

  1. totally crying. such an incredible story. thanks so much for your example rach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for being the kind of person i never could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin, you've always been an example to me. Love your Folk Dance Sis. :-)

      Delete
  3. Rach, you are awesome. What a wonderful example you are to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazing!!! We always keep $1 coupons in our car from McDonald's to give to homeless. At least they could get a warm meal or two with them. Wonderful and touching story Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel—you are amazing! You are such a gifted writer and an angel to all you meet. Thank you for reminding me today about what is important and giving me that warm tingly feeling all over. I cannot wait to see you in a month or so!!!

    Love ya girl!!

    ReplyDelete