Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Alma 26:12

For Jonathan and I, one of the major stressors of law school these past 3 years has been landing his first job afterwards. Obtaining a legal education is empowering knowledge, but it is also a rough job market in our current economy. I may have even questioned a time or two if it is worth the investment of school loans, arbitrary grading, stress, time apart from each other, more stress, and questioning whether he'd find a job right away? (Maybe I murmured once or twice as Sariah did 1Nephi 5:2-3)

So we prayed, and we fasted, and prayed, and fasted. A lot. Not just recently, but throughout this entire journey of his education. And opportunities came like Simpson Grierson in New Zealand, and a fabulous firm called Stoel Rives in Salt Lake, and then Jon's clerkship for the BYU General Counsel. And they were wonderful resume builders for Jon, but none of these places were hiring. And various interviews came and went without offers, and my husband continued to stress about his grades.

You see, law school is a rather humbling process. And for 90% of the class, an identity crisis. Group together about 150 overachieving academic intellectuals into one class, and those who are not in the top 10% will question the one aspect of their identity they were always certain about - their scholastic prowess. My husband particularly pressured himself these past three years because knowing that he was admitted to BYU very last - being moved from the waiting list the weekend before classes started - pushed him to prove to himself that he was not at the bottom of his class. His goal was to graduate cum laude.

Cum Laude - obtaining at least a 3.45 grade point average overall. Everything graded on a curve, and your entire grade based on the final at the end of the semester. By the time our Amberly was born, Jon's dream of graduating cum laude was a bit of a stretch. The highest grade he had ever obtained in law school was a 3.7, and he'd have to get at least two 3.8's his last semester to graduate cum laude. Remember how he finished his last assignment of law school literally two hours before he walked for graduation? He nearly killed himself this past semester, he was determined to give 110%, just so he knew he did everything he possibly could do and more to reach his goal. I pleaded with my Heavenly Father to help him get the grades he worked so hard for, because I couldn't bare to see that look of disappointment on Jon's face one last time.

Enter Blessings.

Two weeks ago today Jonathan interviewed with the Second District Court for Bountiful/Ogden. Two days later, he was offered the clerkship! Full benefits, salary, family friendly hours, National holidays off. But even more importantly, a clerkship is like a fourth year of law school in that Jon will have accelerated education being exposed to so many areas of law. And he is the clerk for nine judges throughout Davis County, which is pretty wonderful when Jon wants to find his first firm to work for after one or two years of clerking. Nine judges as references isn't too shabby! This has lifted a major weight off our shoulders, especially Jon's. He has a job! Not to mention a mighty confidence boost with what he can accomplish with his profession.

 "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."

And one week ago last Friday, Jon's grades were posted online. The first thing he said when he called me was "You, Me, and the Lord make a good team." Jon got two 4.0's his last semester of law school, and graduated cum laude.

We truly feel humbled with this outpouring of major blessings these past few days. And we know there is no such thing as too many prayers of gratitude! Looks like we'll be sticking around Utah for a few years, more like for life most likely. And we are just fine with that, we want to live close to both our families. It's just kind of crazy how things can change so fast: suddenly we are brought out of the unknown and we can see a lighted pathway ahead.

Now adjusting to a busy life these next couple of months. I will only see my husband at dinner time and on Sundays, because he obviously must pass the bar exam at the end of July and he'll have to study whenever he is not clerking. We know it will pay off in the end though. I love watching our story unfold, and as always I feel my Heavenly Father guiding my life to where He wants my little family to be. And I am so grateful for a husband who is prayerful and so willing to include the Lord in everything he does.

My husband has a job!!!!

4 comments:

  1. YAY! so happy for you guys! thanks for all your faith - you truly inspire so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Ashley! I sure miss seeing you every week.

      Delete
  2. Yay for a job! Congrats to you both! Such a huge weight lifted when the job that they get actually relates to the education they received!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I hope you and MiKe are doing well!

      Delete