Thursday, July 15, 2010

Standstill Moments

That is what Erin Maxwell Sorensen and I began calling them. I think the phrase came to my mind while exploring the wonders of China during May 2009. It was during a bikeride in the enchanting city of Beijing. The smiling eyes of the Chinese welcoming us as we passed them by, the grace in the movement of tai chi through the trees in every park, and the fact that I was far far away, liberating my soul. Suddenly the world seemed to stop moving in a moment of pure joy and ecstasy. Or at least, it stopped the sadness, the anxiety, the struggles of  life for a few minutes. Happiness froze in its place, so that I could immerse myself entirely into it. And I nearly tasted it. In those magical moments, I pleasantly strolled along and everything felt at peace in this world. It was pure bliss, contentment, and peace of mind.

And so, Erin and I continued to call those moments "standstills." And she is just as likely as I am to continue searching for those, even if we must be the creators. True, I can't go on an enchanting bikeride in Beijing every day. But I can create happiness whenever I choose. And absolutely, I choose to find the  standstill moments. They may vary in their intensity or in their length of time, but here are some of those that Jonathan and I have shared in our life together thus far.

Hiking the Y for a sunset picnic


Playing with the Dittos. Seriously people, I lucked out with the in-law situation.




Watching Jon play with babies. Any baby. I think he likes them more than I do!


Playing in a river in Puerto Vallarta


And our first few nights in our new home. Who needs a bed anyway?
Or a kitchen table for that matter?


"We should honor the Savior's declaration to 'be of good cheer.'  Indeed, it seems to me we may be more guilty of breaking that commandment than almost any other!" -Jeffrey R. Holland

I dare you to create a standstill moment today.













6 comments:

  1. You have a blog!! That make's me happy :-) You are a great writer. Thanks for the inspiration. I will strive to create a "stand still moment" today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Rach. You truly bring me joy. I am so happy to see your happiness. Thanks for sharing such uplifting thoughts. Sure love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay!! you have a blog!!! i need your email so i can add you to mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, you two are the cutest. Do you mind if Jon and I follow your blog? Pretty please! Good- kuz I just clicked the "follow" button ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i feel famous. and yay for a ditto blog!!! ahhh, when i get a second I'm reading every single post. ooooh excitement. yes yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does finally getting a shower at 3:00 pm count after an hour of trying to put your beautiful little girl down for a nap? Felt like one to me!! Pure JOY!! Glad I found your blog Rach!

    ReplyDelete