Jon and I love backpacking, and the Tongariro Crossing is voted as one of the top 10 best hiking trails in the world. What better way to celebrate our anniversary? We are so glad we still had the opportunity to do it in winter, even if we had to pay for the guided tour as the only option.
Actually it worked out great. They provided us with ice picks, fleece, better boots, and my "trousers" that trapped the heat in. Thank you!
On our way to attack the 12-mile trek. Bring it on.
The beginning of the trail, and the beast behind us that we'd soon be on top of: Mount DOOM!! The actual name of this active volcano is Mt. Ngauruhoe.
Climbing higher and higher up the "devil's staircase."
Destroy the ring Frodo!!
Or just celebrate the fact that you're standing on an active volcano! Last time she erupted was 1977. She was kind enough not to erupt again on June 1, 2012 for the Dittos.
Mordor in the background. Obviously we're orcs.
The top was rather slippery and had some intense winds, so they advised us to use our ice axes for the next hour.
Here's a shot with the wind taking my breath away at the top. It was so powerful! Trust me when I say you would not want to creep to the edges at this point. You might get blown off the cliff.
About five miles in to the hike, there is a bit of a descend with these magnificent emerald pools below.
They looked so inviting, but in fact that water is ice cold.
An anniversary smooch.
It's the best hike we've ever been on.
A different angle of the volcano and red crater. We love this shot.
More lakes at the halfway point.
And who knew this was waiting for us on the other side? I sure wasn't expecting it, and the dramatic beauty of the rest of the trek was overwhelming. I enjoyed the last five miles the most! The crazy hubby enjoyed the intense beginning the best, as we had never been ice picking before. The massive winds at the top thrilled him, as well as the heat steaming from the red crater. At one point you could actually put your hand down and feel the heat in the soil!
Just loving life. What a way to celebrate two years. What can ever top this?
This hike ends with a grand finale, two miles in a tropical forest. REALLY? Again, we had no idea this was waiting for us and it was so much fun to immerse ourselves in the diverse landscape of the north island of New Zealand.
Before we stopped at our hotel to clean up for dinner, we made a quick trip to see the Huka Falls. Soooo tired, but we knew we had to see it!
Our amazing condominium for two nights at the Falls Chateau, with an outstanding view of Lake Taupo.
Jon spoils me!
And as we burned enough calories that day for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, and dessert, we enjoyed an Indian restaurant that night in Taupo. Notice Jon's hand in this photo. He was saying "sooo good" right when I snapped it. Ha ha I love him.
Bombay House is Jon's favorite restaurant in Provo, and we couldn't believe this actually tasted better than that! We were so impressed.
Happy Anniversary in New Zealand!
So fun! I loved every single picture.
ReplyDeleteHAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!
Ahh... what's more romantic than Mordor? ;)
Okay, so Eric and I are extremely jealous! We have always wanted to go there. You both are adorable! Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAHHAHAHAHAH! I just finished looking through your NZ posts and I feel like my heart is aching to go back! It was so fun reading about some of the places you went that we had gone to as well and it was fun reading about all of the new places you guys went! What an adventure!! You will cherish those memories FOREVER! That is one of the reasons I love traveling so much...you get to create memories that you will cherish all your life!
ReplyDeleteSO happy that you had such an amazing time and so happy that you got to be with your BF again. Love you tons girl. Happy 2nd Anniversary...how will you ever top that?!? :)
So, I kinda forgot you guys had a blog! I was just remembering it when you said there were some of the NZ pics on here. What a great discovery! :)
ReplyDeleteSo this day looks pretty good, but I think I'm bias to the one that happened two years ago, it was just too wonderful. And it made Rach apart of the family, I mean how do you top a day like that?
Love you two!