Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Technology Plunge

Call us old-fashioned, but I have taken great pride in the fact that our simple phones have met our needs for so many years.
 
I value spending our money on experiences, and vacations, and Baby Girl. I felt a little guilty buying these last week. Balance in all things right?
 
Meet our dying "dumb phones"
However, you get to the point where it can be a little frustrating to have a phone that lasts only 2 minutes or so before it dies on you. As always, I was about to buy the simple $15 basic phone and continue with my happy "old-fashioned" life.


However, we got a really good deal on these.
 And while it took some convincing on my husband's part, he convinced me it would be a great buy for his law school organization and study, our baby girl, GPS, etc.

It is 2013 and we have officially owned our first Smart Phones for one week; we feel all sorts of fancy around here.
 
My brother's remark when I asked for "A moment of silence please...Jon and I officially own smart phones." His response: "Well welcome to 2007!!!"

 From a man who never even owned a touch screen phone, I was obliged to cave in to Jon's persuasions and take our first plunge. He's pretty happy about it too!

Admittedly I am growing rather fond of my new phone as well. However, I might miss the good old days from time to time. I don't know why, but there is something so real and so rich about opening my journal and actually writing with a pen. Or opening a day planner and taking notes the "old-fashioned" way. And for the record, I will always bring my hard copy scriptures with me every Sunday to church. :) But that's just me I guess.

But...our phones are pretty sweet and extremely convenient...
So I hate to admit it, but we've officially taken the technology plunge.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about having hard copy scriptures, but I guess I still own a dumb phone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff and I still have dumb phones...but perhaps we'll follow in your footsteps someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linnea, I have total respect for those who DON'T cave!! ha ha

      Delete
  3. I am still totally in favor of hard copy scriptures except now that i have a one year old its way easier to hold her and my phone rather than an actual book. Plus i can have the manuals on there well.

    ReplyDelete