Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Angel on Earth

A fortunate accident
that I arrived at the lobby then
And everyone assumed I was there
to assist her
So I pushed her wheelchair along until
she stopped me outside of the dressing room.

Despite her mumbling words, "Muh muh...bah bah..."

                  She knows the routine

And is capable of telling me what to do without actually speaking.
Shoes off. Slippers on. Temple case in the ordinance workers' room.

As I continue to push her into the locker room and wait for her outside the booth,

I feel honored

Honored to assist a woman so noble and dedicated 
Privileged to aid a daughter of God so faithful as she is
Every Wednesday she has come, infinite and pure, so that each of us may learn from her
                              And today my turn has come

Into the elevator, and she pushes the button
As we stroll along a sacred hallway to room six,
something to become a memory happens.

Her finger is reverently pointing to  every picture of Christ we pass

My heart.

"You know him, don't you"
and though I say it the words don't seem to be my own
"He knows you too"

               I am overwhelmed
                          And my eyes burn with tears in that quiet moment

She may not speak, yet I know she understands
Perhaps more than most of us
             
                       And I know she knows our Savior.

Ode to Sister Johnson.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Rachel. This gave me goose bumps. What an amazing experience. You are amazing at using words to express even the most inexpressible moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to have come accross your blog. Congratulations on the marriage and I am sorry I wasnt able to celebrate at your reception... It looked stunning. What an amazing experience, so touching and so true. Curtis and I attended the temple last night for sealings and had a special experience of having a similar woman in our sealing group. So dedicated and full of light she was. What a testiment of our Saviors love.

    ReplyDelete