All but one. Missin you, Andrea! I'm still the only darky :-)
Gorgeous little bride.
Oh our days of Bingham High School. Were there clicks? Oh yes. Matt and I laughed at how remnants of those clicks still existed last night at the reception. And I suppose we could laugh at ourselves, catching up with old friends in a corner of green grass, reflecting on days of our past as the sun set in South Jordan. I saw old Dance Company friends, grade school friends, and even old Goose from Camp Oakcrest. (You're not really old Goosey, I just thought it sounded good.)
To continue the teenage nostalgia, the fearsome foursome (Matt, Steph, Hubby and Self) ended the night with a visit at Sarah Hunter Gayheart's home, only to meet up with other graduates of 2004. It feels like years since I have seen those good people. I suppose it has been...somewhere around six. And the whole night just got me thinking about my 18 yr. old self. Someone quite different from who I am today. And yet, the core of me has remained constant. My soul has always soared for truth and light, or at least aspired for it. This is not a self-boasting page by any means. The point is, the events of last night got me thinking.
Had I known.
If I had known as a senior at Bingham High School that I would continue dancing throughout college, I would have been "simply flummuxed" (President Hinckley introduced that one) and completely thrilled at the same time. It seems so strange now, but at the time I thought I was all through with dance. I would obtain my degree from college and find a passion in teaching. Well, one year without dance and little Rachey was depressed. I found myself again through performing with a company of (who would become) some of my most cherished friends and exceptional examples. My BYU experience centered around the International Folk Dance Ensemble. I traveled to some of the most amazing destinations in our world, and met some of the most inspiring people. Pioneers of the gospel in Belarus, Czech citizens who praise America, Chinese babies with smiles that would resolve contention, and various others who have left permanent imprints upon my heart.
Had I known I would major in psychology, I would certainly wonder why. Wow that was unexpected. And fascinating. Hopefully I can be a better mother, friend, neighbor, instrument, and individual because of some (I will not say all) of the ideas presented throughout my social and clinical psychology classes at BYU. If you still can, take LDS Perspectives on Psychology by Dr. Edwin Gantt. That class changes lives. After graduation I did end up working in an elementary school after all, eh? I admit I am in love with my job. And using what I learned to obtain my degree is extremely rewarding.
Ha ha ha. Had I known I would become really close friends with Greg and Maria Tucker, I might have clogged harder at clogging camp when I met them in 2007! At least I might have tried to make light conversation with them at the time. But hello who wouldn't be intimidated by such talent? Three years later, I am attempting (sort of a key word here:-) to clog on their top competing team, Jon and I babysit their children, and their faces remain in my memory of June 1, 2010 at the glorious Manti temple. It meant so much to me to have them at our sealing.
And best of all, the "had I known" that takes the cake. You can probably guess it.
Him.
Here is a picture of the day we met one year ago this Saturday.
And Nayla with Uncle Jon. She is quite taken with him.
And Nayla with Uncle Jon. She is quite taken with him.
And had I known in high school that I would pull an Ilene and get married at age 24 to really, the ideal family man, I wonder what kind of celebration I would have had. To those of you who knew me then, you can imagine it would have been no small party. And every emotion would have been written across my face. Alright I will spare you from anything more mushy than that. For today at least.
But here is the thing. Had I known all those things then, I wouldn't be the person I am today. Had I known all that was coming for me, I might have sat back and missed out on all that I encountered along the way. I was meant to trod that specific pathway, and that is what amazes me.
God is good, Jon and I often say. He is in His heavens, and who knows but what pathway He has laid out for you to venture upon? Tread that path, and find your standstill moments when you can. Choose to dare, to move, to act. Try something new. At some point or another, all of us will find ourselves saying "Had I known..." I hope that when you do, it is said with more contentment than regret.
Hehe... Fearsome Foursome. I like it! I loved this post! It really made me think. I have LOTS of "Had I knowns..." Some of which I say with joy and others with a tinge of regret... but you are right. I wouldn't be who I am today without those "Had I knowns..." As much as I regret having a "steady" boyfriend through most of high school, I realize that I learned things that have helped me to love and understand Matthew better... and for that I would do it all again. I often think I wish I knew the future, but then I think again and realize it's MORE fun not knowing!! If we knew the future I believe we would focus too much on that instead of the moment. We would spend our whole lives waiting for the next big thing instead of having those "standstill moments" that you describe so well.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Rach! I'm sitting here with the same thought in my mind...had I known I would be the only one to miss 3 of my best friends weddings in one summer along with 2 of my cousins? But seriously, I can't say how much I wanted to be at all of those weddings, especially since i was in Utah in April, May and July you think I could make one!!
ReplyDeleteThe Lord certainly has a path and plan for each of us! I mean I still can't believe I'm the wife of a pharmacy student living in Oregon as a MOM to phenomenal daughter who's going to be walking any day! Missed you all like crazy, but glad to know I'm where I'm supposed to be even when I have to miss those MAJOR events! Love you all and thanks for not forgetting me, it means a lot! Love
Man I really missed out! I hope you said hi to everyone for me. We'll have to plan a meet up again soon i guess.
ReplyDeletethis one made me cry. keep writing these words of wisdom. I need my rachy moments.
ReplyDelete