Sunday, July 15, 2012

Glenorchy and Paradise, New Zealand

Day 12.

One of our favorite things to do while touring both the north and south islands of New Zealand was to take road trips in our rental car. It wasn't until the drive to Glenorchy that I finally had the courage to take a turn driving on the opposite side of the road. Seriously, such a rush! It takes a lot of concentration not to make a fatal mistake. Jon has had a lot more experience with this as he served his mission in South Africa, so I basically just banked on him to guide me through it.

Oh the adrenaline...


I kid you not, Jon did drive on the wrong side one time after we returned home to the states. Luckily it was in a neighborhood and no damage was done. But it was still hilarious. And I probably should have tallied how many times he turned on the windshield wipers instead of the blinker once we got back to Utah driving. Everything is opposite and it just plain messes with your mind!

Feeling brave.


Always stopping to capture some magical scenery on the way.


This is what most of the roads look like in New Zealand, right along the coastline and absolutely stunning. We love New Zealand!

The plot of land for Isengard, located in Paradise, New Zealand.



Paradise is a beautiful little farming community about an hour and fifteen minutes from Queenstown. 

I didn't even crash our rental car! I'm so successful. 

I named her Gertrude. Jon said she was getting "testy" all up in our business. 

Later that day we returned to Queenstown, took the gondola to the top of a mountain (the Ben Lamont track that we hiked a couple days before), and ate way too much food at this lovely restaurant buffet. 

Round 1.

Round 2. 



Round 3! He packs it in!

Round 4 for dessert. Gluttony.

Just a little celebration of sweetness here. The tiramisu was my favorite. Jon still raves about that raspberry chocolate cake.

We just had to spend one more day relaxing and enjoying this phenomenal view.


Owning a summer home in Queenstown would be just fine with me. ;-)


And that day we said goodbye to our lovely friend Sheree who took us in for 3 nights! She is such a splendid, spunky little woman and we hope she comes to visit us in America some day. 



1 comment:

  1. Aw, I just love you two so much! :) What a fun, fun trip. xx

    ReplyDelete