Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reflections After 26 Years of Life on Earth

Yesterday was my birthday. Jon and I have made up our minds to celebrate every year of our lives that we grow older together. No complaining about hitting that "dreaded 30 mark" and so on. When I turn 50, I'll do something outrageous to celebrate living one more life on earth and being all the wiser. Well, hopefully by then I am somewhat more wise. In the mean time, I have been thinking a lot about my reflections after 26 years...

  • When I imagined my life at 26, (and I distinctly remember doing so because my license would have to be renewed) I envisioned a marriage with a wonderful man and myself as a mother of 2 children. At least part one of my dream is fulfilled.
  •  God's plans for me have consistently been the most unexpected and very different from my own plans for myself. His pathways end up being the better journeys for my spiritual growth and in the end, my happiness.
  •  It makes me laugh that after seven and a half years, I still live in Provo.
  • God knew I had to officially move away from and say goodbye to the state of Utah to have a renewed appreciation for it. Not even the winter can bother me now, and that is what I call a miracle.
  •  There are times in my past where I wish I had been more gracious. The idea of me offending someone gives me anxiety.
  • There are other times in my past where I wish I had the courage to speak my mind. I have a voice. I should use it more to promote all that is wholesome and good. 
  • Forgiving others is not an easy thing, but I am confident that the power of the atonement has miraculous healing effects.
  • Whenever a judgment about someone passes through my mind, I feel like I let myself down. If I truly knew that individual and what he/she has dealt with or is currently dealing with in life, I doubt I would have been judgmental. 
  •  I am still learning how to love myself. Jonathan is my coach.
  • Even though certain cultural aspects of Mormonism sometimes make me feel out of place, I always feel at home in the temple.
  • Life will only get better. The best is always yet to come.
  • I am praying that I get accepted into graduate school this fall. I have learned to value education like I never did before. 
  • I never thought I would wonder whether my children would come in this life or in the next, but Jonathan and I know that whatever happens we will be okay.
  • The old saying is truer to me than ever before: Friends come and go, but family will forever remain.
  • Life is not about competing or comparing. Life is about caring, serving, and choosing to make the best out of every situation.
  • My home is wherever Jon is. If I die young, I will probably haunt him daily. In the meantime, we plan to have children, become as educated as possible, create Zion wherever we live, and travel the world together.

10 comments:

  1. Rachel, this is a fantastic post! I totally feel with you on some of your thoughts! You are an amazing woman and never forget that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annajean. It's good to stay connected through blogging, cousin!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this! It had made me ponder upon some of the great truths of the gospel - and receive soft promptings of their truth.
    Happy Birthday! LU

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I didn't know it was your birthday, hopefully it was a great day! You are so great Rachel! Thanks for your stellar example. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautifully said! Good luck on grad school, that is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a great birthday! Thanks so much for sharing your insights. I have always looked up to you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're awesome Rachy Rach. I love how we are on the same wave length a lot of the time and I loved chatting the other day. Please call if you ever need anything. Stay strong! :) Love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you inspire me. you always have. such beautiful lessons learned, insights, observations, and goals. you are such a great friend, and person! i'm lucky to know you!!! love you lots! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah love. Don't you have a blog? I'd love to follow it!

      Delete
    2. YES!! i need your email, and i will send you an invite!!!

      Delete